Hello. My name is Abby. I'm eight years old and I was diagnosed with Rett Syndrome when I turned two. My parents work hard to help me make sense of the world around me and this blog is meant to help others understand my world and my journey with Rett Syndrome.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Abby was a little under the weather yesterday, so I kept her home from school to make sure she was feeling okay. She liked playing with all her toys and taking it easy. Her favorite toys are those that make music or light up when she hits them. She is not able to isolate her fingers well, so toys that she can push with her whole hand are the most fun for her.
















Abby spent time practicing using an augmentative communication device to make choices of snacks, activities, books, etc. This is just one of the many ways Abby is communicating her needs to us. With so many unintentional hand movements, accuracy if often difficult, so we are still trying different devices and strategies to see what works best for her. Abby understands what we are saying and definitely wants to communicate, but her body makes it very difficult. She is doing such a great job and is so excited when she is able to show us what she wants.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh! How wonderful that you are finding ways to help her communicate! I bet she IS excited!

    The blog looks great, and Abby is just so beautiful. Thank you for sharing her journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It will take a while to figure out what will work best, but she'll get there.

    ReplyDelete