Hello. My name is Abby. I'm eight years old and I was diagnosed with Rett Syndrome when I turned two. My parents work hard to help me make sense of the world around me and this blog is meant to help others understand my world and my journey with Rett Syndrome.

Saturday, October 17, 2009




















Abby is relaxing today after a busy day yesterday. Now that Abby is in school, we have less time to spread her therapies out. She goes to physical therapy every Friday. She works with the PT in the clinic for 30 minutes working on the treadmill, stairs, and transitions. Yesterday, she worked on gaining back skills like rolling over and standing up that she has lost since regression. She rides a horse with the PT for another 30 minutes. Being on a horse has helped Abby's balance and core strength tremendously.














After her (too short) nap, we went to her aquatic therapy. She is participating in a 10 week study to measure the benefits of aquatic therapy for children with autism spectrum disorders. This was only her second session, so she is still getting to know the therapists. Yesterday, they worked with her to bare weight on her hands, hit a ball, and float in the water. She enjoyed being in the water, but was tired. She was trying to rest her head on the noodle every chance she got. I think she was glad when she was finished and we visited with her Nanna and Grandpa. Friday's are going to busy for a while, but I'm anxious to see how she responds to the aquatic therapy.

2 comments:

  1. Ann Marie, Michelle found your blog & sent it on to me. I will be following Abby's journey and praying for you and your family. Abby looks like you and Cheryl in her pictures. Since I was around Cheryl more when she was little. I really see Cheryl, when I look at her. Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello I came acrossed your blog and thought how amazing your daughter is, I love her name as well. My daughters name was Abigail Marie and she went through some hard times but fought through all of them. I feel the name should mean strength for that is what I see in your daughter, I hope for the best with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete