Hello. My name is Abby. I'm eight years old and I was diagnosed with Rett Syndrome when I turned two. My parents work hard to help me make sense of the world around me and this blog is meant to help others understand my world and my journey with Rett Syndrome.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010


Abby was so excited to be back to school yesterday. She was all smiles as we were getting her ready for the bus. She had a good day. Of course, she slept on the way home. She gets sleepy enough for a 10 minute nap on the bus, but not enough for nap after lunch. I think we need to have a talk about the difference between a blink and a nap.

I spoke with her doctor about her reflux issues, and he scheduled a swallow study for next week. That will show if there is any problems with chewing and swallowing. It's a pretty simple study. She will eat different textured foods that are coated in barium. They watch what is going on inside her body on a monitor. An SLP will be there with us, and will show me what's going on as she watches the video. Hopefully, it will just show that everything is working the way it is supposed to and we can look into other causes for her spitting up issues.

2 comments:

  1. I had a very similar test back in high school- that's how they discovered my ulcers (they are now gone) it was the coolest test I have ever seen. I watched as everything went down- so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit I think it is pretty cool, too.

    ReplyDelete