Hello. My name is Abby. I'm eight years old and I was diagnosed with Rett Syndrome when I turned two. My parents work hard to help me make sense of the world around me and this blog is meant to help others understand my world and my journey with Rett Syndrome.

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there! We went to church and then out to lunch. Instead of sitting in the cry room at church, we sat with Abby in the sanctuary. I wasn't sure how she would like the (sometimes) loud music, but she did great. She sat with me and snacked on some cheerios. It was so much nicer being in the sanctuary, and not listening to the service on a TV in the nursery. I think she actually enjoyed sitting with us like a big kid. Abby gave me a cute paperweight with her picture in it that she made at school. Very cute!

I am posting a few photos of some things Wes and I have been working on for miss Abby. Wes is a techie, so when we got an ipad, he got to work making something for her to use. It is still a work in progress, but I think it will be a cool thing for her to use, especially when we are out. When she touches the picture, it says the appropriate comment. This screen is comments about her video. We also made a help screen. We have a lot of ideas of ways to use the ipad with Abby. The pictures have to be pretty big because her fine motor skills aren't great, but we are going to see what she can do with it. When Wes gets time to fine tune it, he'll make it available for anyone else who is interested in it. In the end, we want to be able to make it easy to swap symbols and record audio.






This is my much less techie version. Abby has been using this when we play in the water.





This is a very old communication device, but its about all we have that has more than a couple of choices. I am using it mostly to familiarize Abby with the symbols, but the surface isn't sensitive, so we have to usually help her push the symbol that she is looking at or attempting to touch.







1 comment:

  1. Awesome....that's great. I came over from Rettnet to see the pics...My Kelly is just starting to understand two dimenionsal pictures..would love to have these programs become a reality.
    Beth...mom to angel kelly and her twin Sabrina
    robbinsville NJ
    kellybeansie@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete